Posts Tagged 'white sugar'

How To Make Brown Sugar

So I wanted to make this caramel cake the other day, right? I mean, I really, really wanted to make it. I had my heart set on conquering caramel once again, and eating delicious cake.

As oft happens when I have my heart set on things, I start them and realize that it will be impossible for me to actually attain them. I’ll start to make a recipe and find out 2 sticks of butter, a cup of sugar and three eggs in that I don’t have what I need to finish the recipe. Which is a bummer about 30 percent of the time. The other 70 percent of the time, I can usually google up a replacement and cross my fingers that the recipe will still turn out. Case in point, making buttermilk from scratch or finnagling the caramel recipe from the cake a few days ago.

Here is another one of my discoveries that is the result of my laziness: You can make brown sugar! My dad actually told me I could do it. Who would’ve thought? But I googled it, and he was so right. And this is so easy. All you do is take 1 cup of white sugar and 1 tablespoon of molasses and mix them together. Voila!


Brown Sugar

1 cup sugar

1 tablespoon unsulphured molasses

Mix sugar and molasses with a fork or electric mixer until well blended. To store, put in a ziploc bag and squish all the air out of it.

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1,945 other followers

Lane Cake

Chocolate Clementine Marquise

Spicy Chai Biscotti

Red Wine Pear Trifles

Coconut Oat Chocolate Chip Cookies

Peach Cobbler

Clementine Ginger Tequila Sunrise

S’mores Cake with Malted PB Frosting

Lemon Mousse Crepe Cake

Strawberry Shortcake

Nectarine Brown Butter Upside Down Cake

Raspberry Espresso Fudge Cake

Cherry Clafoutis

Fluffy Buttermilk Biscuits

Banoffee Pie

Blueberry Bourbon Bread Pudding

Pink Sprinkle Cupcakes

Grapefruit Yogurt Loaf

No-Bake Nests

Butter Pecan Shortbread

Black Garlic Herb Bread

Pumpkin Chiffon Torte

Maple Pecan Brown Butter Cupcakes